Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sophie's Choice - She's Back

I was not planning to blog anything like this. My blog is new - I thought of only blogging about silly things that had happened - to me, around me, on me and about me. You know - silly me, silly job, silly management, stupid management and crazy ex-colleagues. (It's never safe to blog about current colleagues. They read.)

I am a slow reader but I am a fan of Sophie Kinsella's work. I had fallen in love with Kinsella since I got my first copy of Shopaholic. Since then, I became a collector-a-holic for anything Kinsella, minus her Madeline Wickham's books. I am still puzzled about the need to release books under two names, but this is not a blog on that. This is a blog on my new FAVOURITE book - Twenties Girl.
Lara's boyfriend has just dumped her, without any explanation. Her business partner, Natalie, went away for a holiday and never came back. She's stuck with a job title as a small headhunter business parter, but she has no clue on how to be a headhunter. Her uncle is the rich Bill Lington, who owns chains of coffee cafes and has a snobbish wife and a spoilt daughter. Lara's parents are nice, but they are too worried about her condition since the boyfriend break-up thing. Her sister is enjoying her suffering.

Lara's luck takes a turn when she is the only one in her great aunt's funeral who is able to see her great aunt's ghost - a 23 year old ghost, who is looking for her missing necklace. And since that Lara is the only one who can see her, young-looking great aunt Sadie pesters Lara into helping her.

I was giving up a little on Sophie (If you are reading this, Sophie, which I doubt you would, 'coz you are so busy... but if you are, uhm, I'm lying.). I did not buy Domestic Goddess. I mean, I bought the book, but I did not accept the idea. I mean, a business woman knows how to cook a good meal after one lesson? Hell, I still burn fried eggs after so many years of cooking. Remember Me? is a nice book, but it is nothing like Shopaholic series (minus the one with the sister thing - what was that all about??) and Can You Keep a Secret? I am a major fan of these two. Remember Me? failed to impress me because it painted the female lead as a bad person. And I did not see any reason to like the male too.

But Twenties Girl brings back the Kinsella I have learned to love. It is a funny book. Sometimes, as I read along the book, I wondered of the necessity to delay getting-to-the-point thing, but Kinsella has the magic to fit the whole story nicely. I felt for Josh and Lara. Because Kinsella wrote it such a way. I did not feel for Josh and Lara. Because Kinsella wrote it such a way. I felt for Lara and Ed. Again, because Kinsella told me so, in the book. It was delightful.

I read slow. But I could not get the book off my hand. I finished reading it within 2 days, minus the office hours. I was addicted. There were moments I laughed out loud (now I really know what LOL is really about) that I did not even care if my neighbours would think I was crazy. Those were the moments I could believe that only Sophie Kinsella's crazy and funny female lead characters are capable of doing.

It is a good book. That is why I actually decide to blog about it. And it makes me falling in love again with Kinsella, and make me proud that I am a fan of hers. Gosh, if only I can read another new work from her now. :D

1 comments:

Kirsten said...

boleh pinjam?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin