Sunday, September 27, 2009

Brigette Lin Ching Hsia's Characters Trauma

I was in awe of Brigette Lin Ching Hsia's glamorous comeback in the 90's, signaling her retirement from her retirement from the movie industry.

Brigette Lin first returned in Tsui Hark's film - Swordsman II. She acted as a man who castrated himself to become perfect martial art leader. To become a perfect martial art leader, he must be a woman. I was surprised at first when my friend told me that Brigette was a man in the movie. I was surprised but I loved the idea of her comeback. It was different from her many roles of repetitive characters of same storyline love movies from Taiwan.


At the moment of the popularity of the film, I thought her character's death was one of the most beautiful in any film.

And then came Dragon Inn, where Brigette Lin again acted as a character with martial art ability. And in a male costume. And the character died again.

And then there was the famous Bride with White Hair, acting angrily against straight character played the late Leslie Cheung. She did not die in the first movie, but she went crazy, jilted by love.

And I believe there was the Ashes of Time, where again, in a male costume, her character went crazy with jealousy.

And there was the film Fire Dragon, where she was denied of love again.

And she was the cold killer, really depressing-like, in Chung King Express.

I think her character died again Handsome Sibling, acted opposite the not-handsome Andy Lau.

Actually, by the time her character was denied of happy ending in Bride with White Hair, I was already having a trauma - Brigette Lin's dead characters trauma.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin