Monday, November 2, 2009

Bra


I overheard my mom talking to my Tua Ee (Big Aunt) recently on the phone. My mom said that she would be busy later.. heading out to throw her undergarment to the sea.

My thoughts went on to think how in the world my mom, who's known to have weak knees, gonna ride her motorbike all the way to the sealine to throw her undergarment.

I know, you may be thinking - undergarment? Sea?

Apparently, yes.

It's a belief among certain Chinese that throwing undergarment to the garbage bin would be an inappropriate way to dispose off one's personal items, when they are no longer usable. They should be a proper way to get rid of them, and I think, my mom thinks that this is a way to return them to Earth, away from any perverts' touch or anything...

I asked her how she was going to do it, since that the nearest sea line would be perhaps 30 minutes to an hour ride away. She told me that when she said that she was throwing them to the sea, it did not mean so. It meant throwing to a rushing stream that would lead the undergarments to the sea.

I said - huh?

Mom said that she found a drain where the water was rushing fast. It was near a Tua Pek Kong's hut. I asked her if she was really going to throw such a thing near Tua Pek Kong? She giggled. I know.. it would be a distance away, but the water in the drain there was rushing fast enough to be considered as a stream.

Mom said that throwing such undergarments away, in a plastic bag, with name written, plus birthdate - Chinese birthdate and not the English one, with a clip of hair and nails, would ensure that bad luck is washed away.

So... if my state is flooded with my mom's undergarment, please do not blame me. I won't stand in my mom's way to uphold the tradition.

;p Hahaha...

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin